Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Gadgets

In an attempt to bring back the joy of opening presents to the holiday season, I bought myself an iPhone today. And since our family collectively decided to forego all Christmas ceremonies this year (no decorations, no presents, no parade, and a filet mignon dinner that I made), I was left to my own wits to pamper myself. That's where The Baron, aka new iPhone, comes in.

My purchase is entirely justified, though. At least enough to settle my own cognitive dissonance. I'm not usually one for purchasing expensive toys, especially ones that are trendy, so I had quite a time convincing myself that I needed or deserved sch a fancy gadget. Keep in mind that my previous phone was a $10 pay-as-you-go phone with a different SIM card stuck into it. So this change is quite an upgrade.

The reason that finally convinced me to buy an iPhone was not just because of the incredibly fast network, nor the ability to access the internet whenever I want to, nor even the vast array of apps available right at my finger tips. No, my main reason was far more trivial.

It's important to stay on top of the trends when you work for a technology company. My main reason for purchasing an iPhone was to step into the 21st century and understand for myself just how mobile technology is revolutionizing the population. I couldn't use my dinky old phone to do so, so a new high-powered phone was necessary. Exactly how are services on these new phones monetized? Where are advertising dollars going? These are very important trends to follow.

Or maybe it's another way of saying "I wanted one because everyone else has one."

No comments: