Friday, July 25, 2008

Can you please spare some change?

I'm not fond of change. And before you start thinking this is a post about Obama, it's not. It's entirely, selfishly about me.

It's not that I don't like all change, because that's definitely not true. I like it when people change their outfits every day because wearing the same one can get repetitive/smelly. I like it when I find change on the ground. I don't pick up pennies so much anymore because they're all over the place in the city, but I still get excited about quarters. I like changes in my life that have been fully thought out and prepared for. Getting a job in advertising was pretty much expected because I've been working towards that since sophomore year.

Unexpected change is what's difficult to deal with. I like to think I'm pretty adaptable, but it still usually takes me by surprise. When I get thrown off a routine, I'll tolerate it, but I will still be completely aware of the change. I don't even like changing stalls in the bathroom at work (fourth one from the right).

This newest change is good for me, though. I know it's good. I just haven't been able to get into the habit of doing it yet. I try to get up at 5:40 every morning to go running. I only get half an hour to run, though, because I need to be on the bus by 7:30, but at least I'm exercising. I need something to counter the fact that I sit in a cubicle all day. But I know I still have a long way to go before I change my mentality into thinking that waking up at 5:40 is even better than sleeping in.

No comments: