Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I was surfing online, and I found a video on Youtube of Shel Silverstein's reading of The Giving Tree, a childhood classic. I've posted the video below for those of you who want to reminisce or for those who haven't read the book yet. It's really quite touching.

How appropriate that I stumble upon this video today of all days. The Giving Tree (notice that Shel referred to her with a feminine pronoun) is a lot like my mom. She's never asked for much from her children. Instead, she agreeably gives everything of hers away whenever we ask.

Over the years I've taken a lot from my mom. I like to think that I've given things back, but I know I haven't returned the favor often enough. I'm not talking about material goods. My family was never one for giving presents and having objects lying around. I mean that I don't often show the appreciation that I actually feel. I'm not one to express my feelings often (okay, ever), but I'm also not sure if even just saying things like "thank you" and "I love you" are enough.

I do know that despite my yearnings for independence, I'll continue depending on my mom forever. Even when I'm old and she's given away all that she's could, I'll still need her around even if just for the company. At first, the little boy in The Giving Tree seemed like such a selfish brat, draining the tree of all her assets without even offering to nurture her in any way. But as I go through the story again, I also see that he has forever depended on the tree. He leaves, but always comes back. And I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though it may seem like I'm going off and doing my own thing, I'll always want to come back for my mom.

No comments: